Saturday, April 22, 2006

Enemy territory

It seems like I've developed the habit of ending the week in a crazy kind of way. 2 Fridays ago, I came home round about this time in a great amount of pain from rehearsals. There're no more rehearsals now, thank goodness, but if it's not one thing, it's another.

And today, there were many other things. When our students write about cloning, they talk with great horror that cloning could lead to the creation of many many little Hitlers all over the place, I try to convince them that we are far from being able to do that although it's not an entirely new idea since I did do Boys from Brazil when I was in college. Anyway, even though I vehemently deny the existence of such technology, it doesn't stop me from wishing that it exists, especially on days like today where I'm expected to be at 2 to 3 different places at the same time.

Days like today make one realise that in organisations, sometimes, the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing and together, it has absolutely no clue what the feet are doing. The outcome of that is that the left hand, right hand and feet all want to go in different directions and bring the body along. And I am the body, being dragged off to say thank you for the 5 cents more that is tossed in my direction by my right hand while my feet desperately try to keep me in school so that I can repeat the bed rest I had two years ago on such a fateful day. Meanwhile, the left hand is dragging me to the heartlands of Singapore to see our school team convince the world that democracy is the best form of government any one could have.

When there is so much dissonance in one body, there is also bound to be great interference when it comes to translating thought into action.

So,

There was the need to get a drink, but an inability to get there since it's been 15 years since I've actually ventured into the heart of Hougang. And for once, that big yellow M was all elusive. I did however managed to chance upon, a grass patch with at least 20 PAP flags billowing in the wind, and I thought I was in an opposition ward. Perhaps, that's why. I whipped out my phone and tried to take a picture of it as I drove past it the second time and not for the first time in the last few months, I came to the conclusion that I needed a mega pixel camera. I'm also guessing the picture would have turned out better had I actually stopped the car, got out and took a still picture instead of from a moving car, that I was moving!

I did eventually find my oasis lit in red and yellow. But unlike my other experience of buying a drink in the opposition ward that was recorded by the cousin-in-law, the iced lemon tea in Hougang was regularly priced. Perhaps, that's what will spell political doom for the democratic experiment that is Hougang.

Technorati Tags: ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 00:51

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"