Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Inside Out and Back to Front

You know it's going to be strange week when you put on your clothes inside out and then attempt to change it around and have it end up back to front.

I've done the superhuman feat of marking 100 essays in less than a week. I am amazed. My kids are amazed. My colleagues hate me now. But it still sucks. It sucks when you try to pat yourself on the back for your little achievement, only to realise you still have 100 comprehensions left untouched. That's where I am now.

So I've spent the morning reading the paper, having breakfast in between classes- I've been saddled with first period classes for 3 days of the week and then ringing round to look for a gym like place to workout minus the gym. I've come to the realisation that I like superhero girl characters on television. I liked Buffy and now I like Sydney Bristow from Alias (which we've started watching since there really isn't much on telly these days) and now yearn for a body like hers. So, off to work out I am. But it is a sizable amount of money and I'm not sure if I'm willing to invest so much. It may turn out like my attempts at ballet classes that I end up not going for half the time and kick myself silly for spending all that money.

I could just be prudent and go running. It's free since I already have running shoes, but I'm extrinsically motivated. I think it comes from years of having a track coach push you just that little bit more to get you to go under your previous best time, or that ballet teacher that is on hand to yell at you if something is out of place. It's an unhealthy dependence and yes, I admit it, I'm a sucker for punishment.

Having said that, I remember also shying away from classes and training when my coaches or teachers were mean and told me I was fat, lazy and/or not putting in enough effort. I would rationalise it by telling myself that I didn't pay the teachers to abuse me. So, I like being pushed but I don't like the drill sergeant method of getting the message across. That's why girls don't serve National Service. We'll all end up crying in a puddle because we got yelled at, either that or we'll yell back and kick them in the nuts and never get to go home during the weekend. Ever.

It's a precarious balance finding that ideal coach/teacher like person. :) I'm fussy.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 11:15

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 4:43 pm Blogger Mr Miyagi said...

It's not being fussy. It's a reasonable requirement of coaches/teachers. Positive reinforcement is the way to go, not shaming people into performing.

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"