Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I ELoathe TestS

I just found out that even though my entire academic education was done in English, including 3 years in a top Australian university pursuing a degree that was fully taught in English and subsequently coming back and being trained to teach English and currently teaching English in a top school in Singapore isn't enough convince Immigration Australia that we actually speak the language.

We just received an e-mail that said that we had to do the academic IELTS test as soon as possible. Even the case officer handling our documents admitted that it was ludicrous. But even then, she still had to follow procedure.

And we complain that people go by the book in Singapore.

I know my English isn't exactly the most brilliant but I do feel offended by the notion that I don't actually speak English enough to qualify to live in Australia.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:02

3 thoughts...

3 thoughts...

At 12:38 am Blogger Angeline said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:26 am Blogger Ondine said...

Not quitting, just paving the way to take a hiatus, sometime. To lead another life in an alternate universe but not giving this one up.

 
At 9:24 am Blogger D W said...

And I wish you all the best. :)

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"