Monday, February 20, 2006

All Closed

There are days when I absolutely abhor the food sold at the hawker centre. I cannot bear the thought of eating it. Those are days when I bring food from home. I make sandwiches or pasta or rice or something baked, just to break the monotony. There are also days when I don't have time to go out for lunch.

Today was one of those days. Not much time for lunch. But at the same time also, not satisfied with the cheese sandwiches that I brought. Of course, the sandwiches were meant to keep me till lunch, where I would indulge in something hot and cooked. Unfortunately, I had a meeting. Which meant, I couldn't go out and eat. I did the next best thing. Ask those who were going out to buy me something. And buy me what I eat when I have absolutely no idea what I want to eat- fish ball soup.

fish ball noodles.

I spent all my time in class, cold and looking forward to the hot, steaming tasty MSG laden soup and the yummy fishballs that I thought awaited my return from class. So, it didn't matter if I was struggling not to fall asleep in class. It didn't matter that my stomach could probably be heard from the back of the class. I knew I had fish ball soup to go back to. I guess, that's what they mean when they say it's a comfort food. It offers comfort and sometimes hope.

Problem was, when I got back to my desk, there was nothing in sight. At that point, there was already a niggling feeling there. But perhaps, they weren't back yet since the colleagues themselves had to have lunch. So, I went off for my meeting, still hopeful. This was a meeting that required my laptop, so half way through the meeting, my IM bleeped the fateful message.
Colleague: Alllllll the fish ball stalls were closed!!!!!!
Horrors! I couldn't concentrate on the meeting thereafter. And it wasn't like I could go in search of my own fishball soup. I had to be back in class in 15 minutes. So, I sulked a little, complained a lot, sought solace in the massage chair in the lounge and swearing that I will by hook, or by crook, find fishballs for dinner. If I fail to locate them for dinner, then I will be forced to conclude that there is a conspiracy out there! To keep me from my fishballs.

It's a cruel cruel world.

Technorati Tags: ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 15:38

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"