Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Fiendship Day

That was on a card I got this morning. Fortunately, it was not meant to be an attack on me and I wasn't being called a fiend for my behaviour in class. Unfortunately, it was a typo by an 18 year old who has, for the last 12 years of his life, learnt English.

Anyway, it's Friendship day in school. That means the kids are carrying enough candy around to give an entire country rotteh teeth and a toothache. There are also a million wilting roses paraded like little trophies. A day like that is akin to a day of reckoning. How popular you are is demonstrated by how many flowers, ballons, gifts, stuffed toys you receive. Girls carry around HUGE paper bags filled to the brim with gifts, proudly.

It's also a day where different clubs in the college are excused from classes. Nothing they like better. An official excuse to be anywhere but class. There're singing telegrams, flower and balloon delivery service, all in the name of friendship.

I received two singing telegrams and they were hilarious. It's sweet when the students serenade teachers. It's awkward for the teacher because you're standing there with a goofy smile on your face. And bordering on the bizarre when they dedicate songs like Love, Me by Collin Raye. A song primarily about eloping and the sadness and loss of a very loved one. So, did they want me to elope with them? Or were they promising to mourn the loss of me?

It's always amazed me that people dedicate it over the radio, declaring undying love for one another. Do they not listen to lyrics? I'm quite a spazz when I listen to songs, I hear, but I don't really listen. So I never know what songs mean, unless I make a concerted effort to sit down and listen to it. But even then, it didn't take me very long to figure out that Love, Me was not a happy song.

Well, the kids are lapping it all up and I won't deny them of it. It's one of those things they'll remember of college. I remember being given a wilted rose and a CD clock. And the CD title was "How Many Ways do I Love Thee?". Yup. I never went out with the boy. He made the unfortunate mistake of trying to impress me by giving himself a French name- Jean Pierre. How do you take that seriously? He was a nice boy and we became friends, but I think the day of his christening, I laughed all the way to class.

Ah, the foibles of youth.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 10:16

2 thoughts...

2 thoughts...

At 7:21 pm Blogger petals said...

haha..

happy fiendday indeed.

i remember marking an exam script about the public transport system last year and i must have lost consciousness while marking.. only to realise when i reached the concluding paragraph that he had written pubic transport. and so i ploughed through the essay again to circle all the pubics embedded in it.

that incident sort of jolted me awake. ;)

 
At 4:39 pm Blogger Jerilyn said...

The "kids" do think that friendship day, along with all the gift exchange is pointless. But we still do so anyway, just like how birthdays are celebrated. Anyway, those paperbags are actually a hindrance to those carrying them. And wilting flowers, ugly. But there's no harm in acting superficial for a day. Try it, haha.

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"