Saturday, March 19, 2005

Bleeding Red

I remember my honours supervisor threatening us once that when he was done with our thesis drafts, it would look like our pages were bleeding. On hearing that, we went out and got him an assortment of multi-coloured pens just so that our very fragile self-esteems wouldn't take too big a hit when he gave us our drafts back. As a result, we got vetted drafts that resembled a rainbow melted all over them.

I've spent the entire day trying to catch up with my marking. Unlike YM, I haven't been able to find a good block of time to just sit and mark with impunity. I've had to snatch time and it's been worrying because I need to get all this done by Tuesday and on top of that, I have an exam paper and a quiz to set by Monday. It had nothing to do with time management this week. On no one day did I laze around, do nothing and enjoy my holiday. We've been packed to the brim and the days have passed too quickly with much done about nothing.

So, I've scrawled, I've exclaimed, I've underlined to show my growing impatience and annoyance and the scripts are looing increasingly bled upon. I should perhaps be kinder and mark with purple, but I like my purple pen too much to squander the ink on gormless students' scripts that know much about nothing.

We gave up free tickets to see Coach Carter this afternoon, and the opening of Terz's show this afternoon so that I could get 2 hours of marking while Dan slaved over a lasagne. We're off to an anniversary dinner tonight and I'm thinking it would be quite rude if I actually brought along my marking so that leaves tomorrow. And tomorrow, there's tuition, and then there's the watching of my track girls attempt some sort of coordinated effort to keep the hands on the baton round the 400m track without hitting one another's knuckles with the metal pipe, dropping it, getting disqualified or running into someone else's lane. All of which might happen along with them forgetting to bring racing shoes, tops, bras(!), socks, safety pins...Ahh... the list can go on. Sufficed to say, I've got to be there to watch them cross the finish line, hopefully in a respectable enough time so that I don't have to make like an ostrich and bury my head into the very hard and parched ground that is the Gombak Stadium where ever that might be.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 15:55

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"