Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Vermin

A wonderful evening that ended with a colony of rats playing "why did the rat cross the foot path"

Answer? To scare the living daylights out of me. Yup.

It was a great day today. I went present shopping for Dan. He will soon join me in the ranks of being 28. I bought CDs because he had gone out earlier and bought himself a Game Mouse from me. I vacillated for a long while. Sixth Pence Non the Richer, U2- How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Best of Ronan Keating, Best of Robbie Williams Best of Westlife (!- Just for the heck of it!), The OC Mix 1,2 and the Christmukkah CD (for my benefit).....Eventually narrowed it down to 6p and Robbie Williams and presented it to him in a package that till a few hours this afternoon held a new set of underwear. Heeeeee......

That was the earlier part of the afternoon. The later part was me running very fast because I had half and hour to run and forgot to take into consideration the time it would take me to walk out to my running route. As a result, we were almost half and hour late for dinner. A dinner that was well worth skipping every other meal in the day for. Well, for Dan. For my fragile constitution, I had to eat. I woke up dizzy because it was past my breakfast time and I hadn't had any cereal or cheese toast (my 2 staple breakfast menus).

Dinner was chicken in filo pastry, cod in some spicy sauce, white bait with kim chi (extremely yummy), duck, cha soba and extremely tender tenderloin. For the more shellfish inclined, there was baby lobster,prawns and crab claws (which I took great joy in extracting meat from even if I was going to eat it... my version of prawn peeling, except I wasn't being submissive but more because I was bored of my non shellfish variety food). According to Dan, the best part of this $42 +++ menu was the herb buttered rice. You can take the Chinaman out of China but not the China out of the Chinaman...well, something like that.

For me, the best part? The desert counter. With trays and trays of pralines and a crunchy chocolate cake with a hazelnut crisp centre. At one point, my entire plate was filled with various varieties of chocolate. Dan's made on the spot birthday cake was made out of various forms of chocs too. I will upload the photo tomorrow when I retrieve camera from car.

It felt like such a nice evening that we were reluctant to actually go home. Almost as if hit by the Cinderella syndrome-not helped by the fact that the Raffles Hotel does look extremely pretty at night. So, we decide to take a work by the river at Empress Place- this is in the day, in the night and standing on the opposite bank much more peaceful and surreal. You end up looking into the CBD with the sense of quiet calm only to realise that inside those buildings that are lit, are probably people who are still working and wishing they were anywhere but. But it was very pretty and breezy and very very unSingapore which was why both of us enjoyed just hanging out there for a while before proceeding over to the Fullerton to see the the cats were still there.

Cats were indeed there. And I decided about an hour later that they were needed near my block of flats. We went to a Club near us to listen to the band. On our way there, I was figuring that coming home would be a problem, not because of dangerous people lurking, but because of dangerous vermin lurking. And I was right. It was really a scene out of the Nutcracker where the Rats were scuttling round as the clock chimed midnight. Coincidentally, it was round about midnight when we tried to cross the rat infested path. Everytime we tried to take a step forward, we ended up taking 3 steps back-akin to progress and development in Soviet Russia but that's another story. The 3 steps back came from the fact that the rats crossed the paths successively. You could make a computer game out of it. Run down the pathway as fast as you can while trying your darndest not to step on any rats. Any rats smooshed would cause a score or life penalty.

The rats won because I decided to take the path less ratty. Even then, I encountered another 2.

Dan asked which I hated more, the rats or the lizards. My conclusion? The rats because they're larger. So much larger that I think the cats in my neighbourhood are fearful of them. Hence my wanting to warp the Fullerton cats over. Plus rats, if they bit you, your arm would hurt for a month from the tetanus shot that would be a total necessity. Lizards, I would just scream my vocal chords hoarse. The harm would be to the larynx but that would be self-inflicted and not vermin inflicted.

Dan says write to the Town Council. I'm not certain if they could do anything. Those rats also reminded me of these rat villains I saw in an old episode of Charmed the other day.

So, I'm off to have nightmares that will be a cross of the King Rat in The Nutcracker Suite and the rat villains from Charmed. Perhaps, throw in Peter Pettigrew as Scabbers to mix it all up a little.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 01:45

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 10:36 am Blogger aviatrix said...

Buffet at billard sounds good! For $42++ that's certainly a better deal than marriot crossroads' $45++ that tasted like leftovers... eugh! Good luck for yr run, you can do it!

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"