Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Domesticat

I'm home today, on urgent leave. At 10.46 am, I've done more housewifey things than I have the entire month.

  1. I defrosted pork at 7.10 am
  2. I did grocery shopping at 8.43 am
  3. I unpacked 4 bags full of groceries into the fridge.
  4. I made a toasted ham sandwich for breakfast at 9.07 am and this wasn't for myself
  5. I made 2 litres of chrysanthemum tea from scratch
  6. I dragged out the slow crock pot cooker thing from its 3 year long hiatus (Oh goodness! I've been back from Melly for 3 years)
  7. I scalded some lean pork and skinned three bulbs of garlic (bulbs?) and dumped them into the crock pot for slow cooking
  8. I cleaned the kitchen counter and refridgerated previously boiled chrysanthemum tea
  9. I had breakfast at 10.43 am, 2 hours after I got back, making me really feel like a housewife because there were so many other things I had to do before I could sit down and read the paper and have some cereal

Ok, I didn't really take urgent leave to do all that. I took urgent leave because I had a whimpering, extremely feverish, sneezing (who says you can't sneeze in your sleep?), coughing, sniffing individual sleeping beside me. Dan is down with some strange virus. The fever just got higher and higher through the night till it hit 38.8 degrees this morning and he looked like he couldn't even walk straight from our bed to the bathroom if his life counted on it. That's when I decided, there was no way I was going to leave him home alone and started messaging people even before the sun had really come up- actually that's just figuratively speaking, it was bright at 6.32 am this morning- to let them know I couldn't come in this morning. I'm glad I didn't because you know you're in a whole lot of trouble when you walk into the doctor's office and the first thing he says to you is " you look like crap". Well, Dan, not me.

And however rubbish way we lead our lives, eating out more than our parents approve of, I know enough to make sure that the sick kid gets real food. Hence, the flurry of activity this morning.

One of the colleagues I informed this morning said that adults hit by viruses are really harder to look after than kids. Yes and no I think. He's passed out now and I don't think he'll stir for a while, but he's also pretty stubborn, insisting that we (YM and I) should still go for kickboxing tonight. Yes, we're trying that out soon. We're on a big craze to get fit and have been hit late by the fitness/gym/yoga/pilates type of bug.

I always thought I didn't need these things because my constitution is naturally above averagedly fit. Unfortunately, I underestimated what age actually does to a person and now, I humbly admit that I actually need these classes to keep fit. It's the same reason I had to retract my calorie logic sometime back. For the longest time, I didn't care about calories. I think that came from the fact that I was so active as a teenager and was never told that I had to count calories. I was told I had to count fat, so obediently, I did, but I didn't care about calories and sugar.

I think its effects only occurred to me after I hit 25 and around the same time Atkins was beginning to take the world by storm. Only then did I realise that calories were also bad.... So bye bye unlimited portions of bread, rice, noodles and pasta. Sadness is when you realise your body isn't as young as you think it is.

Same goes with Dan I guess. His body can't take the immense amounts of stress that he's being put through now. But for him, I don't blame calories, or sugar or a slowed down metabolic rate. For him, I blame the fat assed bitch, that I gloriously dreamt of chasing with an axe in my dream last night, plus her stupid high heels made her trip and fall, making dismemberment all the easier for me.


Ondine tossed this thought in at 10:45

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 6:03 pm Blogger Tym said...

Cool, you dream about dismembering your enemies. Did I, as Buffy, lend a hand?

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"