Thursday, April 08, 2004

Sunday Morning

Traditionally, Sunday morning has been church going, but it hasn't been for a while. It has however, been running day. The last few sundays have been nice and hot, which means I get a nice tan from running for an hour. It has also meant that I get strange tan lines from my crop top.

It's Sunday morning again today but I'm not feeling like running and I don't think it'll be possible because I've just drunk an entire glass of juice having woken up feeling like I've wandered through the desert for forty days and forty nights. Hey, passover has started right? Anyhow, drinking so much means I can't go running because one, it'll slosh and two, I'll get a stitch.

Stitches are the most horrendous things to get when one decides to go long distance running. It's painful to breathe in, it's painful to breathe out. You just want to collapse and die. So I think I'll stay in this morning despite the fact that I feel extremely guilty about it and the sun looks gloriously hot. Give me another few hours and I'll be cursing at it. Ah! The wonders of a love hate relationship.

Term starts again tomorrow. It'll be quite a furore this week in school because college postings are out and there will be those who have failed to make the cut to get into college and would be appealing. This would mean massive amounts of interviewing and listening to pleading on my part and massive amounts of constructive lying and feigned earnestness on the part of those being interviewed. The trick is to seive out the sincere ones from the ones who want to be in the college because they think the college owes them a living.

Then again, you gotta feel sorry for these kids who really think or are made to think that their futures depend solely on which college they get into. Frankly, it doesn't really matter. The probability of going to uni does not vary significantly from one college to another. But then again, I never did listen to anyone when I was 17 and I don't think these kids would either. I chose my college on the basis that I would look good in the uniform so yes, great thought did go into that one.

I am officially depressed about returning to school tomorrow. It's been too short a holiday and I have absolutely no idea how I am going to face the next ten weeks without keeling over especially since I'm going to be saddled with a fourth class of English now that our first year intake has burgeoned tremendously. We're calling them a bumper crop, borrowing from initially agricultural but now overused civil service terminology. How does the civil service use the term "bumper crop"? The civil service and the government hopes that the Singaporean population accedes to government requests and produces a bumper crop of babies next year.

Heh.

The art of sentence construction.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 15:32

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"