Thursday, April 08, 2004

Night Owl

I was always a useless one to have at sleepovers because I fall asleep very quickly. Blame the parents that used to insist that I should go to bed by 8 every night when I was young. Somethings don't change. I find it quite a struggle to stay up beyond midnight even now. I will doze in the car, on the couch, at my desk...anywhere if I'm not in bed by midnight.

And because we come home late a lot of the time, I don't get to blog till almost midnight. This means that half the time, I fall asleep typing and I don't dare publish anything because there may be a stream of consciousness in there that ought not to be.

It's a strange sensation, akin to the one experienced when intoxicated by large amounts of alcohol. The insistence that one is sober, or in this case, awake enough to write coherently. I used to doze off during lectures in JC and university and be unaware of the fact that my note taking skills did not transcend the boundaries of consciousness. So when I had to study for exams, I would be puzzled by the syntactic and semantic make up of some of my sentences.

Which brings me to my latest mad cap idea. I've decided to go back to school. No, not as in college and my place of work, but to go back to a higher place of learning, to better myself, to embrace our government's policy of "lifelong learning". Well, it's not so much that I'm being obedient to the government, but that I feel that I'm rapidly losing touch with the language world that I became intimate with in my honours year in Melbourne. Waiting to go back to do my PhD is very much like waiting for the a durian tree to fruit. It takes close to 7 years and by the time I get to go back to Melbourne, I would have been 7 years away from academia. So, as a stop gap measure and on the encouragement of my much revered former supervisor, I've decided that next January, I shall apply to do an MA. To think I used to see doing an MA as below me since I had the chance to do a direct PhD.

This would mean that the next two years beginning January 2005 will be extremely busy, seeing that the college will be starting a four year high school programme next year and in the following year, an entire revamp of the JC system is expected. Of course, my mother, recently joining the ranks of the "GET THE GIRL PREGNANT" club as the vice-president, answering only to my mother-in-law, the president of said club, will wonder when in the world will I have time to get pregnant. My answer to everyone is a huge shrug. I really have no idea, but I'm going to do what it takes to give me an advantage when I get back to Melbourne and no amount of counseling, convincing, imploring, emotional blackmail is going to change my mind. :)

Ondine tossed this thought in at 15:35

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"