Wednesday, February 20, 2002

We're in the business of whoring...

Okay, don't be too surprised. It's an aberation that I'm able to write today. Daniel's asleep and I'm bored stiff of marking essays I don't understand, let alone know how to correct them. There are a few gems of mistakes like " I was at the anal camp last year" or " I would like to be a pilot so that I can feel the wind in my hair" or " I was born in the 19th century" . Uh huh..and these are the good ones. Sigh.. I spoke to a teacher today who said that if you taught these classes for too long, your brains turn to mush. It's true. They don't know what I'm talking about when I pronounce " Math" with the "TH" instead of "Mats" which is how they pronounce it.

Daniel's colleague has made a somewhat astute observation about teachers. That we are like whores. Hang on, there's more. We are whores; prostitutes of education. We get used and dumped when we are of no more value and when the kids meet us on the streets, they shy away from us as if diseased. More so, if they are with the significant others. How true. The kids I teach are rather ungrateful at times and insolent at others. But I think it's a social thing more than anything else.

I have been made more and more aware of the politics of the staff. I want very much to stay away from it and be immune from it. "Water off a duck's back" that shall be my mantra.

I saw Kate and Leopold over the weekend. It was terrible watching Meg Ryan. Someone please slap her silly. Whiny, brattish and a forty year old foot stamper. I'm a foot stamper, well, sometimes, but then again, I'm not usually allowed to get away with it. The only saving grace of the movie was Hugh Jackman. I'm a sucker for chivalry and he with the horse and the Sir Stamford Raffles / Victorian garb (depending on where you come from, delete the inappropriate analogy) just do it for me. I have told Daniel that I would very much like him to wear tails when we get married. But he thinks that counts as cruel and unusual punishment, especially since he's built like a rugby player/swimmer. His best friend, Jon, has also voiced concerns over my choice of their formal wear because Jon is rather sumo-esque. He did say that he would concede if I let him name my first born. Well, for those of you who don't know Jon Lee, he would like to name his daughter Lily Lee Li-Li. So, there is no way I am letting him go near any of my children.

We are thinking of going back to Melbourne in June. I think the both of us share the same sentiments, that we have to touch homebase. And Melbourne is still homebase to us. We haven't quite worked out our finances yet, but we're going to try very hard to make it there. Singapore is fine. Slowly, we're getting used to it, but there are still quite a large number of kinks. We have been told to go look at flats and go buy one soon as the property market is slowly recovering from the rut it has been in for a while. I don't think either of us is ready for that. Like I said to my mom, last year this time, I was trying to figure out where Monash Clayton was. Now I'm supposed to understand the very complicated process to buy a flat? Nope, not ready yet. Definitely not. Even getting married is still a rather strange and foreign concept that I can't quite grasp.

I shall go off now in search of food. It's going to be a long night. I have tuition and then I'm off to meet an ex lecturer of mine.

Later now.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 16:17

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"