Monday, December 31, 2001

New Year's Eve

As we stand on the brink of a new year.... haha... I kept hearing that phrase in church yesterday I thought I'd begin this entry melodramatically. Anyway, it is New Year's Eve and I'm up way too early. I wake up at the slightest sound and this morning, it was the phone ringing. It wasn't even for me.

The new year begins tomorrow and as of now, I have yet to get myself a job. I thought it wasn't going to be too much trouble because this school had written to me asking me if I was available to teach for the next 6 months. So I jumped at it and an interview was arranged for last Friday. When I got there, slightly flustered since we got lost, I was told that I was no longer needed but they had neglected to inform me, but proceeded to interview me, for future purposes. God help me if my future is tied to such an irresponsible, inefficient school.

The other alternative, although unconfirmed would be teach in a primary school. 11 year olds, that's going to be tough... they're so precocious nowadays and to make matters worse, it's in the afternoon session, which means I start school at 12 and finish at 6. There goes the rest of my day, bah! Well, we'll see, plus beggars can't quite be choosers. Daniel's a little more ho-hum about it because it's just in his nature to be. So I'm all frantic and he's cucumber cool. An aside, why are cucumbers cool?

Daniel and I are now official godparents to my neice, Bethany, who also goes by the name Joolies. I shall call her that for years to come, purely because her father, my brother has spent my entire life calling me by another name that has stuck and now, I'm an auntie with that name. :) What that name is.. well, if you want to now, ask me personally.. I'm not putting it here..:). Well, anyway, Joolies looked like an angel in her long white baptismal gown yesterday, except she had drooled all over it. What really cracked everyone up was the fact that her brother Bruce, whilst the pastor had his hand up giving blessing upon the family, saw it fit to give his own blessing to the pastor and put his hand up over the pastor's head. It was quite hard to keep from cracking up. It was supposed to be a solemn time, you see.

Well, apart from that, there hasn't been much going on. I'm probably going to go with a friend to pick up her wedding gown today. So many of my friends are getting married and I'm just starting work. In some ways, I would like to be in that frenzy, but then again, I don't think I'm really ready to be stressed by the whole organising the affair thing. My friend and I decided, it wasn't so much the marriage bit that scared the bejeezus out of us, it was the wedding that was terrifying. And there is such a danger of being swept away by the preparations that you lose sight of what it is really about. It can so easily become about the gown, the suit, the hotel and the flowers, instead of the celebration of the union of two people. My friend also said, she would like to elope instead of having the whole shebang.

Well, I think in all of us, there is that sentiment, to avoid the hoohaa. But as girls, brought up on fairy tales ( hey, even if you played with actionman and GiJoe as a little girl, you still read about Cinderella), we all dreamed about the fairy tale wedding. So there's a connundrum in itself. And I think that's where one can be swept up in the preparations of it. Oh well, I have the advantage of having a super-logic guy who will probably not stand for any of this fairy tale nonsense blurring the true meaning of the day, But then again, like I said earlier, it isn't my turn yet. I shall just stand by and watch how my friends do theirs and learn from it. An aside, we wanted to look up the four seasons hotel page and I wasn't sure of the address. So I hit www.thefourseasons.com. Unfortunately, that was the web page of a female nudist colony. How funny. Anyway, the real address for the hotel didn't have the "the" in front of the four seasons.

I think I should be off soon. I'm trying to decide whether I should cut my hair today or just lounge around at home and slowly unpack more stuff. I am proud to say that I'm down to 3 boxes and 2 of the boxes don't quite need to be unpacked. They're all notes that are going to be shoved under my desk and left there till I feel the urgent need to look up the meaning of multiple regression or something equally foreign and useless.

So, later now.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 07:21

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"