Tuesday, January 08, 2002

School Blues

Okay, I have about half an hour to do this and then Buffy is on. I haven't watched very much television since I've got back and I'm feeling slightly lost without it. I don't know what people are talking about these days when they talk about what's showing on television.

Anyway, since my last entry, I've found a temporary job. I'm teaching at Geylang Methodist Secondary which is a co-ed school. Everyone thinks it's a girls school so I'm just setting the record straight. I teach Sec 1 (13 year old kids) and some Sec 2's. Some of these classes are weaker students and they need lots of help. They tell me that you "make up" a house instead of "do up" a house and other things like that. The good thing about them is that they are willing to learn and will absorb any sort of explanation you give them. I now understand what my supervisor, Greg, said once about how as long as you are the one at the lectern, everything you say will be taken as lore even if you don't know what in the world you are talking about. I agree. :)

Speaking of Greg, I soooo need to get my thesis re-written. It's a few days late and I can't quite get to a computer that has word. My very clever brother wiped off half the hard drive programs on this computer so that he could play Baldurs Gate Two. So now we have no Word or Microsoft Office but he still has not enough space to play BG2. Haha.

I'm tired. I need a holiday from all this unpacking and settling in. It's just too much. The stress of having to find a job, and then getting up at 6 in the morning. It's not quite amusing. My education interview is next Tuesday and I have been strongly encouraged to think of other careers apart from teaching. I think the ones who have encouraged me this way have the best of intentions. They worry that I get jaded and cynical and bossy, therefore not having many friends.

I enjoy the teaching bit of the job. It's just the other bits that I don't particularly have a taste for. I have to work this Saturday and next because, well, I'm the form teacher of the class and need to meet the parents of the orientating students. I also need to be present at their orientation camp next saturday. That's worse because it's for 12 hours. And I found out, I get paid one day's work. One day's wage is based on a 5 1/2 hour day. I may not be good at math, but I suspect I'm getting only half of what I should be getting. Mutter mutter.

Well, I have a masque on because I decided that I needed to spoil myself today. But now, I have to go take it off before it cracks and leaves line all over the place. That would defeat the purpose of having the masque on in the first place.

This is a somehow mundane entry. It may have to do with the fact that I am so sleepy, but determined to watch Buffy, and that my brain is dead so asking me to have more structure or interesting bits to this is just a waste of time.

Later now, and hopefully, by the next time, I would have finished with my manuscript.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:09

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"