Monday, March 26, 2007

One with mother earth

I have a hate-hate relationship with the weather now. It's not really a fair weathered relationship because I hate it the most when it's fair. In Singapore, fair weather is a euphemism for "it's going to be bloody hot and sticky". Right now, I think very fondly of those -22 degree days in Calgary where I was bundled up in fleece and wore Thinsulate boots to keep my toesies warm.

And through last night, everytime I woke to go to the bathroom, I would curse at how humid it was at 2,3,4,5 am and wonder if I should attempt to go to work in a tank top, a pair of shorts and flip flops. Then at 6 in the morning, when I'm just getting breakfast ready, I hear this strange sound akin to a loud crack. There is suddenly a smell which is familiar but something I hardly associate with 6 in the morning. It was the smell of rain hitting warm bitumen ground. Unmistakable.

Cynic that I am, believed that the rain was a passing shower. Afterall, it'd been scorching hot with not one shred of evidence that it was going to let up. So, I get dressed in what I had planned to wear anyway. Unfortunately, for once, the weather forecast was right. It was going to be a heavy downpour. The kind that doesn't allow you visibility beyond like 10m, the kinds that make you wonder why people are high beaming you to get you out of their way since it's dangerous to drive beyond 70kmh.

I took a good hour almost to get into work and when I got there, I felt like I'd driven through an ordeal and was mentally exhausted from the effort. And at that point, I hadn't even gotten out of the car yet. When I opened the car door, I realised the water in the carpark was at a level where flippers were probably more useful than the pretty heels I had on.

I had already destroyed the other pair of pretty heels that I owned and had no desire to retire yet another pair of shoes from the very quickly dwindling numbers of shoes I could actually stick my boat size feet into. So the only solution? Take off my shoes, take them in hand, wade through the rainwater till I hit dry land. I must say, it was an extremely liberating and cooling experience and I enjoyed every single step I took. I felt like a child again and if I was loopy enough and earth-mother-y enough, I would say, I was one with the earth. Had I not been late, I would have spent some more time, just walking up and down in shin high rain water with the rain rat-tat-tating on my umbrella. And the only thing that would have sent me scurrying for shelter would be lightning. I like rain, but not its appendages.

Technorati Tags: ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:07

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"