Thursday, February 01, 2007

Hunger strike

I got an sms in the middle of the night from a colleague who was warning me that Ribena had been reported as one of the top ten most unhealthy food items for children. I was also told that I should cut down and drinking the stuff.

I looked it up this morning, because I wanted to actually retort that this report came from the same country (Australia) as the declaration that Nutella was healthier than peanut butter and should therefore be taken with a pinch of salt.

Unfortunately the report also listed the other 9 things on the list and these included quite a substantial number of things that I actually do eat! For instance, Milo was at the top of the list. And I drink Milo, it's a new thing that I do. I realised that the only way I was actually going to get the calcium I needed was to drink milk and I hate the stuff. To mask the taste of the milk, I dump a lot of Milo powder into it. That way, I can keep the milk down and I can quite easily tell myself I'm drinking hot chocolate.

Then there's the teddy bear biscuits. I knew from the outset that they weren't the most healthy things in the world, but I didn't know they were that unhealthy that they had to be taken off the shelves soon. I love those biscuits. In college and uni, we used to see how macabre we could be when eating the teddy bear. Arm off first? Ear off? Leg? And they're telling me no now? Humph.

And then, there's the Kellog's Nutri grain bars. I don't eat much of it here primarily because it's hard to find and when you do find them, they're expensive. But when I lived in Melbourne, it was all I ate for breakfast because they were so easy and convenient to take around. Plus, I always thought they were healthier than eating a chocolate cake bar for breakfast. Evidently, they're just as evil.

So my entire belief system is shattered and as is, there're so few things that I actually do eat. Add all this to the list, I might as well just eat air.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 08:02

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 11:26 am Blogger Unknown said...

well it seems to me that it's not that the foods are unhealthy in and of themselves, it's just that eating them in large quantities is bad for you because you get more calories than you need and therefore will get fat. it's not that they will clog your arteries (with the exception of trans-fat heavy cereal bars) or cause cancer or anything. so you can STILL have your ribena and your milo, just...not quite in massive quantities, that's all.

calcium supplements, maybe? just make sure you wash 'em down with vitamin-K-enhanced OJ, which aids absorption of calcium...or so my OJ carton claims. :p

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"