Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sand, sand all day long

A conversation I had with a friend a few weeks back.

Her: I have to go to a meeting now, about sand. How dull!
Me: Haha, you can build sandcastles in the air.
Her: Yup and have sand in our eyes.
Me: Maybe, you could play Enter Sandman by Metallica to call the meeting to order.
Her: Nah, the higher ups will probably throw sand at it.

You can imagine how this could just go on and on.

And then, this morning, I hear on the news that Indonesia has decided that it wants to ban the sale of sand into Singapore. Then, my still half asleep mind roused itself out of its stupor and wondered whether it was the same thing my friend was talking about. But sleepy me also wondered how sand could possibly be such a big deal for Singapore. After all, it's what goes onto the beaches, the kitty litter box and the playgrounds built in the 80's. Of course, once my mind woke up, I also remembered that the other place one found sand was at construction sites. And perhaps, that was why it was important.

Evidently, I was right. And I learnt a new thing too, that the sale of sand to Singapore is of national importance and without the sand, the IRs won't be built. So I very flippantly thought that perhaps, the religious groups that were against the IRs had prayed very hard for divine intervention and God had decided to grant the prayers with a sense of humour, by banning the sale of sand to Singapore.

I'm quite certain though that the sandmeisters in Singapore won't be too amused if I suggested a divine reason as why the Indonesians might be banning the sale of sand in Singapore.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 17:02

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 9:22 pm Blogger  said...

i've heard that the sand on the beaches in bintan were imported from the phillipines...

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"