Sunday, August 06, 2006

There is great danger in having only a little bit of knowledge

A while back, I taught my students what a slippery slope argument was. I wasn't sure how much of it they got and it's something we occasionally revisit.

Today, I had a peek into how much one particular student understood. And it was not good.

She's talking about why the advancement in science is particularly dangerous.

This is her explanation.

Medical science creates cures for diseases. When there is a cure for diseases and illnesses, people will no longer fear it. This brings about social problems with undesirable outcomes. For example, if a cure for aids (all lower case) is found, the presence of it being an incurable disease will no longer be present. This will then, no longer prohibit the activities that lead to aids as people will have become less afraird of contracting aids. This will in turn, cause a rise in prostitution. And this, is the social problem it will cause.


I'm still amazed. Unfortunately, I no longer find it funny.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:28

3 thoughts...

3 thoughts...

At 12:50 pm Blogger cour marly said...

*recoils in horror

 
At 11:38 am Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

I know I really shouldn't be saying this... but you could ask her what her future rates are going to be.

 
At 8:52 pm Blogger CopyRight Games said...

http://www.computerzone96.com/
http://www.wwwbollybusters.in/

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"