Friday, August 19, 2005

Breaking the Habit

I've been grading these essays that talk about vices and how some of them lead to addiction.

Addiction, often not a pretty word.

And it's a hard thing to do, give up that addiction.

We all know it by heart. It's bad for you so you should give it up. It's bad for your health, it's a waste of money. But why do we?

Well, I do it because it brings me much joy. On a hot day, it's the first thing my mind turns to. I go out of my way to get it sometimes. Sometimes, when I'm really tired and I know I need to go on, I will hunt it down, double park sometimes, just to get myself some of it. When I need desperately to stay awake, that's what I head for. I have it all times of day. I've had it at 7 in the morning, I've had it late at night. Always the largest I can find. I don't believe in moderation. That's for losers.

And when I don't have it for a while, I start to feel funny and twitchy, wondering what it is that I'm missing and then it hits me. I haven't had it in a while. I got extremely upset when Plentyfish forgot to get me some the other day even though he was under specific orders via SMS to get some for me. I should just be able to consume it intravenously or at least have a camel pack.

But no, I've been told I should give it up. It's such a great sacrifice for me. But I've been told it is really really bad for me so I should really stop. But how?

I tried to, on Tuesday when I found out. I vowed to stop. No more. That's it. Cold Turkey. I thought, easy-peasy. It'll be fine. By Wednesday afternoon, I'd caved and had gone specifically in search of it. Just holding it in my hands made the world seem a slightly more manageable place. And when I finally broke the seal and took some, Ah... sweet sweet relief from this cruel cruel world.

Then I gulped back into reality and went Ooops. I'll stop tomorrow. I promise. That was yesterday.

Today's Friday, my second straight day, dry of iced lemon tea.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 11:07

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 11:19 pm Blogger Threez said...

I have a camel pack (2 litre). You want to boro? I don't think ice lemon tea is bad for you. Copious amounts of Coke Light is, though.

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"