Sunday, April 03, 2005

Sunday Night Blues

The weekend's passed too quickly and inconsequentially for me to feel anywhere near okay about starting the week tomorrow. I did nothing apart from stand around rather out of place a watch the tires of our Ford get changed. I am proud to announce that we now have Bridgestone GR80 14 inch tires on our car. Yes, I am a girl, but I know my stuff! There was also some work that had to be done, mostly the reading of the entire week's newspaper so that we could set a quiz for the kids come tomorrow. It's fine doing that except my fingers are all inked and grubby now. The good thing about it, I don't feel like we've wasted our newspaper subscription. More often than not, during the week, the newspapers get brought in in the morning, glanced at as we're heading out the door and collect in a pile till the weekend where it's hastily shoved onto the newspaper shelf waiting to be sold to the karang guni* man.

Incidentally, during the week while discussing Crime and Punishment, I discovered that parents of the current generation used the same types of threats to guarantee good behaviour as our parents did. I polled the class and asked how many of their parents threatened them with a visit from the police if they did not stop misbehaving (In local speak, it would go along the lines of "you naughty still, wait I call police then you know!"). Apparently quite a handful. Even those who did not actually have to cower at the thought of being hauled away in a cop car had heard of the threat before. What amused me, but was told was not uncommon, was to substitute the "call police" bit with "sell to the karang guni man".

I think for me, the threat was much simpler. It mostly went along the lines of "misbehave all you want, just wait till your father gets home".

I don't think the future generation of kids would be fearful of either the police or the karang guni man. It is time to look for some other unsuspecting profession to be the butt of all exasperated threats.

Anyway, it's time to retire to bed and sulk at the prospect of waking up early tomorrow.

*Rag a bone man- Person who buys everything from broken television sets to glossy magazines.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:21

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"