Saturday, February 19, 2005

The End.

Worlds 2005 has come to an end. The gala dinner was 5 hours long with looooooong speeches that were the equivalent of the patting of one another's back and self congratulation. It became a round of speeches by oil barons and industry people, totally disregarding the fact that the event is actually about DEBATERS and this dinner was to celebrate their efforts.

Oh well. So that's 5 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

On a separate but unsurprising note, I'm sick. Again. Same thing happened in Stuttgart. Massive amounts of strain and exhaustion and the getting sick during the championship itself being out of the question often gives way to me falling ill the first opportunity it gets. In this case, it was yesterday, after we failed to break into the quarter finals.

I'm going to be up in four hours, so I should get to bed, but I figured I should blog one last time before I leave this snow covered province.

I don't really know what Calgary looks like. Right now, it's just white everywhere. Some of it's quite nice and it's not as red neck as I was led to believe it was.

Highlight of trip
Hard to pin down. There are so many.
- Seeing snow all around especially in Banff.
- Watching the kids tear apart a finals team from last year.

Most meaningful bit of the trip.
- Going to a First Nations reserve and feeling indignant at how,despite what the Canadian government says, they are still not given all their rights. They may be a nation alright, but where's the sovereignty?

Suckiest moment of the trip
- Seeing the kids defeated at the octo-finals when we all know they had it in them to go all the way.

All in all, Calgary, infinitely more fun than Stuttgart. Perhaps because everyone speaks English. I really couldn't put a finger on it.

I do know this. Tomorrow morning, I will start a 3 sector flight back to Singapore. I just hope this cold doesn't get any worse.

*fingers crossed*

Ondine tossed this thought in at 15:46

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"