Friday, December 03, 2004

Feng Shui

Both YM and I came to the conclusion sometime back that the 2nd easiest place to get cabs in my part of the island (the first being the cab stand opposite where I live) was on Bukit Timah Road outside ACS (Barker). So, today after pilates, I decide I'm not heading to YM's to wait for Dan as W had announced rather gleefully to me earlier today that it was going to be a serious LAN gaming session.

I had over to the nearby Cold Storage at Chancery Lane to get some dinner although it's now sitting in the fridge, uneaten and untouched- I've been strangely put off by food lately. I'd buy it, take a second look at it and decide I don't want to eat it...but that's a story for another time.

Anyhow, after that, I decide to take a cab home because there's no way I'm going to cross the vermin filled walkway that I would have to take if I bussed home. And as if to reconfirm what we already knew about the cab situation, 6 cabs wihzzed past me as I tried to cross the road to the side that would actually be heading in the direction of home.

Now, the other side of the road is divided from this cab-in-abundance side by a huge huge huge canal, that used to flood all the time when our drainage system wasn't as advanced as it is now, and a couple of traffic lights (one set that really led no where- you cross at the light, walk to the end of the path and realise you're still in the middle of the road, right by the canal that used to flood and there are no lights on the other side, so you're really stuck, unless you jaywalk one way or throw yourself into oncoming traffic and hope they don't hit you.) By the time I get myself across to the other side, I realise the cabs all passing me are all taken.

And for another 20 minutes, there are no cabs! It was almost like an alternate universe. I mean, this was technically the same main road, just that part of it would get you into town and the side I was standing on would get you into Johor. So, same road, different sides, totally different situation when it comes to cabs. How is this possible? How can half the road be filled with cabs and the other half, NOTHING.

Strange and a mystery worth an unravelling. Maybe it's the air or the direction that causes no cab to come from the direction of town. Whatever it was, it puzzled me and annoyed me. It also made me wonder if I should have crossed back and paid another $1 to loop round to the direction I needed it to go. But then again, we all know what happens the minute I decide to do that and cross back... ALL the cabs will migrate to the 'toward Johor' side and once again leave me stranded.

The stars of cabs are not in alignment today. Oh Well.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 23:39

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 10:12 am Blogger Tym said...

All the cabs are heading to town to pick up customers, that's why it's easier getting them from where we usually wait. You should've just waited outside Cold Storage... but at least you successfully avoided vermin?

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"