Monday, October 25, 2004

Hiccups

Why do people hiccup?

Don't hold your breath for a quick answer. The most common cause is a distended stomach brought on by such behaviors as overeating, overindulging in alcohol or swallowing too much air. Stress, as well as some medications, can set off a bout. So can a stroke. The most recent theory about why we hiccup, reported by New Scientist in 2003, blames evolution. These scientists believe we inherited them from our gilled ancestors 370 million years ago and that it has survived as a way for humans to learn suckling. Dissenting voices say this hypothesis is a little hard to swallow.

According to Time Magazine.


So that's why I get hiccups, or hiccoughs. Dan laughs at me a whole lot because I tend to hiccup more than other people. Oh well. It's a source of amusement for him. Not so much for me, I get tired.

Anyway, today's been a day of nothing.

I started the day being pissed off with my kids. I spend so much money renting a DVD for them to watch and they don't see it fit to contribute a single idea or opinion about the movie or its relevance to reality. So, I decide, I'm tired, it's the last week of school, if they don't want to bother, I'm not goinig to waste my time pushing them. So, I don't. I leave the class. I've ignored them since. Thing is, they don't even realise what it is they've done. They probably think "crazy teacher- PMS-ing again"

And then, when my class was hysterical for no reason,

Me: You guys are crazy
Them: Heeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee
Me: You see those marbles on the ground? They dropped out of your head
Them: Where? Where ? Where?
Me: DUH!


So, everyone's not in a mood for anything and neither am I. But I do want to watch The Manchurian Candidate this week and Dan wants to watch Before Sunset so those things, I want to do. Here, I do not want to be. Plus, this morning, because I've changed my shower foam to one I used in Melly, I was temporarily transported back to my bathroom in Little Palmerston. 10 seconds of bliss.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 16:00

5 thoughts...

5 thoughts...

At 6:24 pm Blogger Tym said...

JC kids looking for marbles --- hee hee hee hee hee.

Before Sunset --- when, when? Maybe need to rewatch Before Sunrise again, just to get into the right frame of mind...

 
At 8:15 am Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to say Hi! I stepped right into your blog from Mr. Brown's..

More than anything else, I just need to say you're the first person I've met for the longest time with a liking for The West Wing as strong as mine! Impeccable taste :o)

BTW, took the TWW personality test on ur blog, and I'm Josh.. heh.. I love Charlie and Leo the best tho..

 
At 12:39 pm Blogger Tym said...

Another West Wing fan unearthed! Season 3 is out on DVD next week :) :) :)

My favorite is a toss-up between Josh and Toby, but I think Josh wins by a hairline. Or maybe that's because when I did the personality test, I came up Josh (?!?).

 
At 4:43 pm Blogger Unknown said...

Tym: There's, err.. Kazaa Lite.. I'm up till Season 5 Ep 12.. heh..

 
At 10:40 am Blogger Tym said...

Ixnay on the aKay-aazay. Plus I'm too lazy --- would rather wait for the entire season to be available.

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"