Thursday, July 26, 2007

My life on the Harry Potter timeline

The last Harry Potter has hit the shelves and we got a copy the day it was released. I am only about a fifth through it now that my time is hardly mine anymore. I'm ok with that though because much as I'd like to know what's going on, I know that when I finish with this one, there will be no more and that makes me sad. I thought back to when I started reading the books rather nostalgically and realised that I could chart important milestones in my life by the books.

The first three books (because I read them together one time when I was ill)- I was in Melbourne and had found Packrat and was rather blissful about our state of affairs.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- This was in my Honours year and it was one of the few things that helped me alleviate the great amount of stress I felt that year. And it was when the world changed for the worse. The year was 2001 when bad things happened.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- This was two years later and we bought the book while we were back in Melbourne on our honeymoon. Sufficed to say, it had good initial memories. Unfortunately, I finished reading the book in a hospital waiting room while waiting for my brother to come out of brain surgery to remove a tumour and when Sirius died, I was petrified that life would imitate the book.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- 2 years ago, not as eventful but I do know it was round about the same time we had decided it was time we wanted a baby.

Now, this last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- I'm not done with it, but now, I have 2 babies so life has progressed somewhat from the last book.

I wonder what I'll use next to mark the milestones in my life. We always find things, music, movies, books, all sorts of things to act as markers in our life. But for the last 7 years, this has been a consistent one.

Fare thee well, Harry Potter. I'll be sure to read you to my children.


Technorati Tags:

Ondine tossed this thought in at 16:36

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"