Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Must.Shop.Pt 2

Well, not a part 2 per se. But this morning, I discovered yet another thing that I miss doing and want to do. I've been watching a lot of Friends recently. In fact, that's all I've been doing. Watching tv, eating, reading, playing scrabble, as sedentary a life as I'd ever lead. Anyway, at the end of every DVD season, there're extras like gag reels, trivia quizzes, what happens next season and occasionally, the fashion in Friends. So they talked about the clothes that the cast have been outfitted in, their hair and their make up.

That's when I thought to myself, I miss putting on makeup. Not that I paint my face or look like I fell asleep in a makeup palate, but I miss playing with colours. Usually the makeup I use is very basic, powder, blush, brows, lips and if I'm feeling slightly more glam or have slightly more time, I play with eye colours.

Since I stopped work at the end of April, my makeup's been sitting rather forlornly on my dresser. I play and finger lovingly the new pretty colours at Stila and MAC everytime I'm at the mall but always end up putting them back because I know I won't be using them for a long while yet.

I shall attempt as far as possible, although the mommies out there will tell me that it's impossible, to try to not look as if I haven't bathed or combed my hair in days. The last time I got my brows threaded, I was asked if I wanted to renew my package. My answer- "we'll see after I settle down after my delivery", although it was just meant to keep the pesky sales people away, was met with knowing nods which made me a little sad. Does it mean that just because I'm going to be a mother that I am no longer expected to look presentable? Of course, I know there will be a bevy of women out there whose claws would be out and would be spitting in my face going "where do you think I have time to look like I stepped out of a salon with children to look after?". I get that- that sometimes, it's not by choice. But then again, when there is a choice and when there is an opportunity, unlikely as it may be especially if one is a full time stay home mom, isn't it necessary to have some sort of grooming?

Ok, I'm likely to have the feminists all up in arms here. I'm not doing it to please my husband or whatever. I just know that when I've taken care of myself to look presentable, I feel better about myself as well. But then again, that's me and I know that there are people that are going to shove Naomi Wolf's The Beauty Myth into my hands and demand I read it for my own personal salvation.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 12:28

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 10:49 pm Blogger HairyDonut said...

Give yourself 6 months and then go colour your hair get a great haircut and buy some new makeup. And a corset!

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"