Friday, October 06, 2006

Bubble Boy

I feel like I'm living in a bubble. While I was stuck in a classroom through the after, our island seemed to have become submerged in haze. By the time I walked out of the classroom, my first question was "Where's the fire?" Indeed, there was and still is a fire, 220 of them to be exact and they're all burning merrily on a foreign island. The problem is the foreign island where all this illegal burning is taking place is relatively near us. That means, by sleight of hand and wind direction, our entire island looks like San Francisco when the fog's descended on it. Except it's not pretty, it smells pretty bad and causing my asthmatic, extremely sensitive to allergen husband to sneeze as if someone had put sneezing powder all over the house.

Our solution, shut all the windows, switch on the airconditioning and start the air purifiers whirling. And it worked, he stopped sneezing. The problem was the minute he stepped into unsanitised air, there it was again! All the sneezing.

I have always been a firm believer of throwing all the windows open and having it bright and airy. And now I can't, so I feel a little bit like a caged animal. And like a caged animal, I pace, I'm antsy and feel extremely stifled.

My alternatives, live with it, let Packrat sneeze till kingdom comes or forsake the austerity drive on the power bill and switch on the airconditioners full blast. I chose the latter and went to bed, quite appeased.

Packrat's offered an alternative. Our package from Amazon arrived today. It was a big package (yay! Videos to watch for the next month or so!!!) and to keep all the box sets from sliding around, there was padding. The padding came in the form of air packets. And being a smarty pants, I quip " hey, air from America!"

Clean Air

His suggestion was to poke a hole in it and inhale because a) it was imported air and in Singapore, anything imported is good b) it looked cleaner than the stuff around us c) it was contained in 3 separate packets so we had enough for a couple of deep breaths.

I declined citing anthrax. He was thrilled and popped it. But alas, it was a non event and he didn't even sound like a chipmunk after.

So his bubble burst.


Technorati Tags: ,,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 23:43

2 thoughts...

2 thoughts...

At 1:58 am Blogger Elia Diodati said...

We puncture the bags so that it is easier to recycle here. The air inside really, really stinks. It's probably the smell of rusting industrial machines...

 
At 3:13 am Blogger Mister Wonky said...

hey teacher, actually it's rank, name then unit. always rank first. :)

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"