Sunday, October 23, 2005

Poseur

Joey: Go to China. Eat Chinese food.
Chandler: Course there, they just call it food.

"The One where Rachael Finds Out"

Similarly, when a bookstore doesn't have books, it should really just be called a store.

I went to Borders, armed with the 30% off regular priced books coupon. First, I tried to ask for Julian Barnes's The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters. And they were out.

So, I try to ask for Steven Pinker's Words and Rules. Once again, strike out.

I have neither now and will have to wait till I go back to Melbourne to buy them. Maybe I'll buy them cheap at Book Affair. That'll be thumbing my nose at Borders.

Bah.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 21:14

5 thoughts...

5 thoughts...

At 11:30 am Blogger wahj said...

I have "Words and Rules". You can borrow from me some time ... when I find it. = )

 
At 11:33 am Blogger wahj said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:43 pm Blogger  said...

i've got the Julian Barnes one. you can borrow it too. i've given up on Borders. Kino is much better stocked.

 
At 2:37 pm Blogger ampulets said...

Yes, go Kino, a real bookstore. And they help out with special orders for books that are not in stock.

Borders is good only for somewhere to hang out in town after 10pm ;>

 
At 6:13 pm Blogger Tym said...

How unfortunate! Borders hasn't so drastically failed me before. Then again, maybe the list of books I want to buy is just too long...

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"