Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

So, I've sent off my first bunch of students, ever. How do I feel?

Frankly, exhausted.

There was the farewell assembly that stretched for like 3 hours. There were good byes, there were tears, there were thank yous, there were countless photos, where I felt like my Buffy cardboard cutout. Students came, stood, smiled, posed and went, while I stood still. I realised at that point the reason why some teachers become old and ornery. Because they stay on. Their students go on and become great people, successful in their own fields and when they go back to school, their teachers are still there. They haven't gone anywhere. The students become the same, the students all begin to look alike. You're slowly unable to distinguish one group from another. And that's when you become disilluioned. Well, some become disilluioned much earlier than that, but there are always reasons.

But, thankfully, that wasn't where I was today. You see these kids, for the two years that they are here and are bitching about how much they hate the school, get sentimental and teary. Teachers well up and choke up when we are asked to pay tribute to the students who stood out and everyone, for once, forgets to be cool and sings the College anthem for once. Loudly. Pity they didn't get there any earlier. But I guess, they wouldn't be doing 18 year olds justice if they had figured things out any earlier.

And then there was a reception. Much food. Laced with MSG.

And then there was a dedication ceremony for the sportsmen.

Then there was more food.

So the perfect sendoff. Songs, tears, laughter, lots of food and now, the bleeding out of the high. Next, the collapse of exhaustion. Perhaps during psych, in less than 2 hours time. If I make it there, that is.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 13:39

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"