Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Longest Week of My Life

I am reminded of this very annoying Ariston advertisement from a long time ago when Ariston went on and on and on. That's this week for me. It just drags. Perhaps it's the last lot of papers to grade. Perhaps it's because it's the last week of school and it's taken a long time to get here and it seems to be relishing these last few days much to my great disdain.

So there's once again great exhaustion, a great feeling of ennui has overcome me. I find no interest and no joy in what I'm doing. There're papers to grade, students to see, rest to be had, food to be eaten, hair to be cut. But no joy. How depressing.

MICHEL: Don't misunderstand. I want to answer it, I truly did, but today, today I am suffering from ennui.

LORELAI: Ennui?

MICHEL: Severe ennui. You know what ennui is, yes?

LORELAI: Yes. Um, Webster's defines ennui as a lazy soon to be out of work French concierge who won't answer the phone.

MICHEL: Look, I've had my peace with the fact that everyone who calls here is a notch above brain dead, and that the pennies I am thrown each week are in exchange for me dealing with these people in a nonviolent manner. And usually that is fine, but today, sorry lady, I have ennui.

LORELAI: So, you're sleepy?

MICHEL: It's a metaphysical angst.

LORELAI: So, you wanna go beddy bye?

MICHEL: You make light, it increases my ennui.
Gilmore Girls- Love, Daisies and Troubadours

This is probably exacerbated by the fact that I was up at 4 this morning working when all I really wanted was to sleep. I know it's the last stretch before a nice 2 month hiatus of sorts, but why does it always have to be hard leading up to that? It's like it knows that there will be fun to be had in the next 2 months and so it's squeezing and wringing us dry now.

At this point, because of the existential angst I am once again considering grad school, even in Singapore. But that's probably not going to work. Not when money is such an issue. I keep thinking maybe I won't go to grad school because it is just a dream and sometimes we have to live in the real world. But everytime I read something related to language or psychology, my eyes light up again. So perhaps, that really is the solution to this angst.

But for now, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do and that's to grade papers like a fiend. The marks end up by fiendishly mean as well, but what's a girl with ennui going to do about that? Absolutely nothing.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 13:49

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"