Saturday, February 05, 2005

Our Best and Brightest

This trip has been one where we've been exposed to the best and the brightest of our land. Well, sort of anyway. But I've discovered that no matter how bright they are, they're still kids and kids do the darndest things.

1. They do not know how to work hot water showers in sub 10 degree temperatures. Some deal with it by squatting in a jacuzzi tub using the tap and another chooses to holler till I come running to help.

2. Mommies do shopping and packing for them and as a result, they only realise here, that paper underwear, bought by mommy is too small and we go on an island (Vancouver island) wide search for underwear. I threaten to buy said debater Granny panties.

3. Toiletries bags and spectacles are meant to be left behind in the b and b because it's so beautiful, you have to go back for a second look.

4. It doesn't take much to get drunk on a flight when you don't move at all and alcohol goes straight to your head and you start spelling Tokyo as Tokoyo.

5. Boiling frozen vegetables on a stove in a plastic container because it was the biggest container around- never mind the fact that plastic melts.

6. Losing things every other second, papers, books, key cards, clothes (!), specs, contact lens container covers.

7. Leaving clothes everywhere (perhaps that's why they keep losing them), having toilets totally wet and not knowing how to lay floor mats provided on the floor.

8. Eating $156 worth of groceries in 3 meals between the 5 of them. It's amazing how much food they can polish off.

9. Exclaiming on top of his debater sized lungs when stepping off the bus into the cold "My Nipples are Damn Cold!"

10. Calling the girls Xena and Conan because they 'owned' the floor yesterday and eliciting screams that can be heard from down the corridor.

11. Spending copious amounts of time whispering sweet "I miss you"s into the phone..I discovered my dad in me when I wanted to tell him that money didn't grow on trees- So I quickly suppressed it.

12. Obsessing over Krispy Creme donuts that have 20 gm of fat PER donut in front of fellow team mates who insist on making oiless eggs illiciting yet more screams.

13. Trying to iron a shirt and wondering why the shirt doesn't crease out because the iron ISN'T on..

And yesterday, while taking the girls to buy make up for their competition, I was told that the Passion Preserved shade of lipstick suited me because it was very earthly and motherly, like ME!!!!! When I shot them a dirty and incredulous look, the debaters in them took over and they tried to defend themselves and said being motherly was different from being auntie. Apparently, being motherly is good because it means you're caring and stuff and being auntie means you're naggy and smothering. So, motherly is good and auntie is bad.

But in my book, both are bad. Me? Motherly... oh dear... me with my faux fur jacket (it's named faux faux by the way), MAC and Stila cosmetics, Mango boots being motherly?

Oh dear...Kids really do say the darndest things.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 14:51

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"