Sunday, July 18, 2004

General Knowledge Quiz

My school is running a quiz in the name of Humanities Week and the teachers were supposed to give them to the students to do. I brought my copy home because I wanted to try out the hundred questions and see how many I could do. Unfortunately, not many.

YM suggested I put it up on the blog and see whether, collectively as a blog community, we are actually be able to get a higher score on it. Maybe I'll do 20 a post otherwise we'll all get bug eyed.

  1. Name the title of the book that began with- Marley was dead to begin with
  2. Name the title of the book that began with- Yesterday Mommy died
  3. Name the title of the book that began with- There was no possibility of taking a walk that day
  4. Who wears the "fisherman's ring"?
  5. In which year and where was the Inaugural Ministerial Conference of the WTO held?
  6. What martial art is named from the Japanese "way of the sword"
  7. What was the name of Alexander the Great's father?
  8. Who has been quoted to have said that "Britain gave the world William Shakespeare, but it is really ______________ which has led the world in the best way of easing traffic jams in city areas."  and which country was he referring to?
  9. What did the Russian policy of perestroika  translate as?
  10. In music, what does "forte" mean?
  11. What do the French call the English Channel?
  12. What was the name of the theatre where US president Abraham Lincoln was assasinated?
  13. Which language is spoken in George Orwell's 1984?
  14. Which currency is used in East Timor?
  15. What is the smallest state by area in the USA?
  16. Which novel, first published in 1719, is based on the real-life exploits of Alexander Selkirk?
  17. Which flag consists of just the colour green?
  18. In the Bronze Age of China, the Ding and four ram Fang Zun were used for what ceremonies?
  19. Which Chinese dynasty existed concurrently with the Roman Empire?
  20. Lhoste, Kangchenjunga, and Dhaulagiri are all large Asian examples of what?

So yeah, these are the first instalment of 20. Not an easy feat, especially when you realise these questions were meant for the students.

Anyway, I'm off now. Tomorrow is the beginning of a long week with will once again culminate in a one day weekend. What joy!

 

Ondine tossed this thought in at 16:06

7 thoughts...

7 thoughts...

At 9:28 am Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any answers?

- Yuhui

 
At 9:38 am Blogger Ondine said...

You could venture a guess and I'm sure if they're incorrect, others will point them out...:)

 
At 1:11 pm Blogger Tym said...

I've got 5 answers that I'm fairly certain of, and 4 more guesses (in italics). How about:

1) A Christmas Carol
3) Jane Eyre
5) New York City, some time in the '50s?6) Kendo
10) Loud
15) Rhode Island
18) Divination19) Shang Dynasty20) MountainsIt kills me that I don't know perestroika.

 
At 10:59 am Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google is our friend. :)

1. "Christmas Carol" (yay, I got this one!)
4. The pope, as a symbol of the apostle Peter, who was a fisherman.
5. Singapore, 9-13 Dec '96 (I knew it was Singapore, but didn't know the date)
6. Ninjitsu/ninja (my original guess was "samurai")
7. Philip, brother of King Perdiccas III of Macedon or Macedonia (not Lionel... ah, Smallville joke)
8. London Mayor Ken Livingstone, 21 Feb '04, "Singapore" (I knew "Singapore", but I didn't know who said it)
9. According to Dictionary.com: "The restructuring of the Soviet economy and bureaucracy that began in the mid 1980s." (my original guess was "free speech", oops, that's glasnost)
10. Also according to Dictionary.com: "In a loud, forceful manner. Used chiefly as a direction."
11. According to Wikipedia: "La Manche ("the sleeve")"
12. Ford's Theatre
13. Newspeak
14. The almighty greenback, yup, the US dollar
15. Rhode Island (yay, I got this one!)
16. Robinson Crusoe
17. Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, aka Libya
19. Han dynasty
20. Mountains (like Everest)

Couldn't find answers for 2, 3 and 18.

- Yuhui

 
At 10:31 am Blogger Tym said...

Eh, the point is not to cheat and use Google leh!!

 
At 11:59 pm Blogger Angeline said...

I couldn't answer a single one! This is sooo bad.

 
At 11:44 am Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the 'way of the sword' is kendo, ken being 剑 and do being 道. 剑道 - Kendo.

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"