Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dictated by Nature

Packrat and I are quite the travel buffs and we've inherited our parents' wanderlust. So, every chance we get, we travel, be it near or far, we leave. I think it also has to do with the fact that we revel in being able to leave the country, especially for cooler climates.

This year, we're off to Vegas. It'll probably be our last big trip because our children are older and it is increasingly difficult to leave them behind. Subsequent holidays will probably be in the region and will feature them more and more. Which is fine but it does change the dynamics of the vacation.

But it's becoming clear that there are two places that I want to visit and I should do it sooner rather than later. Not for any other reason but that they may no longer exist as places to visit in the near future. For a while now, we've been wanting to do the Alaskan cruise and see the glaciers and we know we should do it soon because well, the way the polar ice caps are going, there won't be much of a glacier left to see. We wanted to go last June but there was the slight matter of the birth of the twins that sort of caused our plans to change a little bit. Slightly digressing, I strongly suspect the phrase 'moving at a glacial pace' is going to take on new meaning soon.

And then, I read in today's paper that the Maldives might move. Yup, the entire country might move because on average, any given Maldivian island is about 1 m above sea level and you know, those blasted sea levels aren't doing much else than rising rapidly thanks to the aforementioned melting polar ice caps. There is the possibility that the Maldives might end up in Australia and I've been to Australia and lived there and have no desire to visit the Maldives in Australia, so we should go there. Soonish. Our friends are off to the Maldives come February. But I don't think I could do their idea of a Maldives trip. 10 days on a fishing boat is not my kind of vacation. Mine should preferably have the words Banyan Tree in it somewhere but that's just me with no ability to rough things up.

But behind all these ditzy desires is a sad sad truth that I don't want to think about and when I do, my perfect world, so delicately built on a deck of cards comes crumbling down. That the world is going to the dogs because we're selfish, greedy, self-centred (are they the same thing?) and painfully myopic. The "Save the Earth" messages played over national radio here inadvertently let on that it's not really saving the earth but "save money" by using less electricity because electricity is expensive and electricity is expensive because oil is expensive and oil is expensive (well, for various reasons but one of it is because of its scarcity) and what is really important is that we save money and cut costs and oh, by the way, by doing that, we might help save the earth as well. And that pisses me off. That, together with all the other injustices of the world that I have no power to do anything about. So, better I remain ditzy lest I manically swing to the other extreme and wallow in the doldrums of helpless, fatalistic depression.

So, more things to add to my ever growing to-do list with the limited funds especially now that I'm not going to be commanding much of an income. And that too, will probably make me depressed but at least, that, I have control over.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 20:09

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 11:14 pm Blogger justpassingby said...

*gasp!* you're finally quitting? Good for you!!! Er, is it? Dunno, some ppl would rather work while others would rather stay home... :/

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"