Monday, November 20, 2006

Hi, it's xxx

I decided there was no better way to spend a Monday evening than to delete mail from my office account. One of the Higher Ups had said specifically that we should check our email twice a week even though term's out. I haven't been doing that, so the amount of trash that's accumulated, it's taken a good half hour to trash permanently the rubbish.

Like Tym, I've discovered a whole bunch of emails with the subject line that goes "Hi, it's so and so"... And I'm supposed to be dumb enough to open the email. The problem is, having grown up in this Internet/information/technologically advanced blah blah blah (channeling my hapless GP students here), we've learnt, as a rule NOT to open up emails from people who we don't know. It's pretty much an extension of that rule our parents set when we were little- "Do not talk to people you don't know and don't take sweets from them". Here, there aren't even any sweets offered!

The other problem is that they try to pose as a friend you might know. Like some stranger coming up to you and saying "your mummy asked me to come pick you up". But whether or not, they pose as a friend or a friend of your mummy's, they're still a stranger, especially when their names don't sound familiar.

And when they say their names are
Saul (as in the Bible?)
Darla ( as in Angelus's soul mate in Buffy?)
Mary Lou (Retton?)
Bradley (the tank?)
Sonny (as in Sonny and Cher?)
Brooke (as in Shields?)
Elma Fudd (not even going there)

... it becomes even more laughable that these daft Spammers think that they could trick me this way.

Thought Spammers and all these computer geek/hacker type people were supposed to be smart...either that or they've failed with me because I, sadly have no friends and their ploy didn't take that into consideration.

Technorati Tags:

Ondine tossed this thought in at 20:19

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"