Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Many Sides of Me

Inspired by Mr Brown who was inspired by Mercer Machine who inspired a whole lot of bloggers.

i. I am the baby.

I am the baby that refused rather rudely to be breast fed, revealing a fussy food nature froom Day 1.

I am the baby who almost died of liver failure because she got fed so much carrot and papaya that her whole body turned orange and her liver went into overdrive.

ii. I am the toddler

I am the toddler who talked to birds and could tell the maid to bring in the clothes because the birds had told her that it was going to rain. And true enough, it did.

I am the toddler who sat and watched in wonder as a giant python slid past her, not three feet away while everyone ran around in panic.

I am the toddler that could not figure out what the fuss was about when her brothers were running around trying to catch a frog with a paper cup; who proved that bare hands grab frogs better than paper cups and could ask rather nonchalantly where to put the wriggling frog in the palm of her hand.

I am the toddler who tried to feed the dog, but in turn got bitten right above the eye by the dog, once again, sending everyone into a frenzy while she screamed her little lungs out.

iii. I am the child

I am the child who preferred to go home with the Nanny on the weekend than to stay and hang out with her parents. I am also the same child that had nightmares about her Nanny being on a plane with no seats when she went to China. I am also the same child who held on to the leg of her Nanny at the airport to prevent her from leaving.

I am the child who had no school to go to in Primary One because she was the third child and at that time, those born 3rd in line were given absolutely no benefits. I am also the child who obediently knelt by the window, as instructed by her mother, and prayed for a place in primary school and became a true testament of God answering the prayers of little children.

I am the child who cried bitterly when she thought she had disappointed her parents with less than sterling exam results, swearing never to do that again and eventually succeeding by getting first class honours only to realise there's really no pleasing parents when her father's only response to that was "at least it wasn't money wasted".

iv. I am the sister

I am the sister who could not stand being left out and tried to do everything you did.

I am the sister that wanted a blue and white uniform because you wore one and wanted to go to Saint Andrews because you went there.

I am the sister who got terribly miffed when she realised the school song you sang could not possibly include her when the chorus was a resounding "Up Boys!"

I am the sister that you did not take with you on those midnight jaunts through the cemetery who only now understood that the mother would have killed you had you.

I am the sister that feared going on holiday for a while because she thought she might come back to more news that you were sick.

I am the sister that sat outside ICU fearing that you would never call her Toots! again.

I am the sister that you lived with in Melbourne, whose boyfriend destroyed your perfect insurance no claim bonus by backing the jeep over a little car that could in no way be seen from up there.

v. I am the athlete

I am the athlete who did not know how to run on the balls of her feet but ended up breaking many records especially the one for the most number of injuries on a 16 years old.

I am the athlete who was not allowed to do PE, or anything physical outside of training, for I am the athlete who can trip over herself and tree roots just by going near them.

I am the athlete who ran with torn muscles, dislocated joints and chicken pox.

vi. I am the dancer

I am the dancer who started dancing at 19 despite being flat-footed and having absolutely no sense of rhythm.

I am the dancer who learnt the pas de trois in Swan Lake by heart and eventually found her soul in the music.

I am the dancer who used to do a thousand stomach exercises every day.

I am the dancer who lost toenails at every ballet exam.

I am the dancer who no longer dances because she does not want to lose the love for dance ever.

vii. I am the teacher

I am the teacher who apparently does not repeat her clothes and shoes in a year.

I am the teacher that swore at her class before sweeping out of the class.

I am the teacher who is not sure whether she is teaching her kids anything useful.

I am the teacher whose heart bleeds for her students who have more than they bargained for on their plates.

I am the teacher who is supposed to be hard at work grading papers but is too distracted and writing memes.

I am the teacher who will now end all this meme-ing and get back to work.

I am me.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 08:37

1 thoughts...

1 thoughts...

At 5:05 am Blogger Paperman said...

I know I'm late but would you pray tell what do students have that's more than they bargained for?

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"