Saturday, May 22, 2004

Sleep Deprived and Carbo Loaded

Just back from College Day. God help me if I need to go through another 3 more of these. It was a long wait for us redundant stage crew. So much so, R and I started making up our own school anthem along the lines of "water---melon---, wa---ter---mel---on" to the tune of the anthem because we didn't know the words and we didn't have a copy of the programme to double check.

I have also come to the conclusion that our college dancers are all divas wannabes. They come in 20 minutes early and mill around backstage, totally oblivious to what the cold is doing to their hopefully warmed up muscles and feet. Knowing from experience, it's harsh dancing cold, I try to tell them and they give me absolutely stupid responses like
"But if we go outside and get warm and come back in, it'll be even worse for us..."
in the most diva-esque of tones.

That's fine by me, you little brats. Wait till your arch cramps in the middle of the performance. Don't say I didn't warn you. They probably think I have zero dance experience and therefore, I don't know what I'm saying. *shrug*

We're off to dinner in a little while even though I'm really really stuffed from eating pita bread and chicken and thai noodles and egg- too much carbo- must cut back on carbs. Dan's colleagues are having a gathering so we're going although I would much prefer to stay home. I need to finish the marking which is no where near complete. Last weekend's timetable for marking has not been followed at all and I am so so so behind.

I have also decided I am going to ban my kids from using the following words.

whereby
thereby
gossips (does not exist in the noun form)
impacts (ditto)

and teach them how to use

these and this appropriately,
part and parcel- I got parts and partials
the mass media - I got the mass and the media


Sigh...

Ondine tossed this thought in at 18:01

3 thoughts...

3 thoughts...

At 5:46 pm Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jury's out on whether "impact" can be a verb or not. Apparently, people used to get the same heebie-jeebies with using "contact" as a verb. I'd like to be a grammar guerilla about it, but other days, I just figure: live and let live.

See Dictionary.com for useful usage notes, including an observation that "impact" has been used as a verb since 1601.

 
At 5:57 pm Blogger Tym said...

Er... the above was by me --- just in case some grammar guerilla was stalking you.

 
At 11:37 pm Blogger Ondine said...

Impacts was not used as a verb. It was used in the context of "The mass media has many impacts on children". Don't think there's a jury out on that one. It's just plain wrong.

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"