Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Spoilt Broth

It's been a while since I've actually thought of the saying "too many chefs spoil the broth". They sure got that right, although it does make me wonder, where in the world that saying came from...

Anyhow, Saturday is the college's College Day, in plain speak - our school's prize giving day and when our principal gives her college day report ala the State of the Union without the pomp, the circumstance and the stand in President that doesn't get to go to the party just in case everyone gets blown up. God, I miss the West Wing!

So, it's a big deal. The college smells of Jif today because there was the Official College Day Clean Up this afternoon and we spent the entire afternoon in an airless auditorium running through the programme. I was supposed to be assistant stage manager with R is the Chief. Unfortunately, there were several opinionated eager beavers around who insisted on commenting on every single thing that was happening and managing to step on every single person's toes. Even the Powers That Be seemed to realise this. My question then is- will these clueless people ever know that after a certain point, kissing ass and being visible works against you? Being the lowly assistant stage manager to a very ostentatious stage manager meant I didn't have to bear the brunt of it. All I had to do was look sympathetic toward R and try very hard to hide my amusement from the chefs who had all their fingers in the purple pie.

Saturday must come and go.... Saturday must come and go....

On other news, the class I swore at, apologised yesterday. Not before their civics tutor told them off and not before I laid the guilt trip on them for making their civics tutor so stressed that she got sick. Haha... it would be more fun to exploit/guilt-trip/blackmail them if I got pregnant. That's one reason to do so! Anyway, we'll see how long the behaviour actually lasts. I'm sick of telling people off.

Speaking of telling people off, I really wanted to give Singapore Tourism Board a piece of my mind this morning. The college had kindly volunteered to host a press pool from Vietnam wanting to do a story on the Singapore education system and these people were an hour late. And they were an hour late. The poor students missed a lecture that would have helped them greatly in the coming exam and no way of knowing how much attending that one lecture could have saved, not their lives perhaps, but their mid year grade. Sigh...

What irked me out more was the local tour guide who took them around kept stroking my arm in an act of chumminess. Eeek! Excuse Me! I don't know you, stop stroking my arm!!! After that, I stayed far far far away from them.

Now if any of us had access to Vietnamese TV, we might actually chance upon a news programme with footage of the Singapore education system and a quack of a teacher teaching a full class of very enthused students! By the time the media wanted to film that, the students were all out for lunch so we set up a mock class, with me as the quack teacher and pulled students in from the corridor. Our selling point? Their 5 minutes of fame on Vietnamese television. They had a ball of a time though, I had fun toothough it was slightly weird conducting a fake class with oft insipid students suddenly coming to life and being all bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to answer questions.

Anyway, it's been a long day and there's still marking not done, so I'm off.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:02

0 thoughts...

0 thoughts...

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"