Thursday, May 05, 2005

Lunch

You know it's far too hot when you buy food back to the lounge for lunch. It does defeat the purpose of actually leaving college to get lunch. But my take is at least I get to eat in air conditioning.

Lunch in the lounge is a strange situation. Teachers cluster round packs of food talking shop. Some keep to themselves and take it as a chance to not have to talk for once and just read the paper. Others flit from table to table, trying to strike up conversations, settling down in the chair resembling patio furniture at the first sign of interest from anyone willing. Then there's me, the occasional luncher who is obviously out of place amongst those talking about marking some science practical exam, those reading the chinese paper and those just milling around. I ate my fishball soup (I wasn't very hungry and according to Dan, it's my staple food group- heck, throw out carbs and just replace it with fishballs) and read about the most interesting that's happened to this little island this week, the death of the former president. It's interesting that he didn't want to be buried in the state cemetary. Primarily because, I didn't know we actually had a state cemetary. I'm guessing it's like Arlington memorial except movies haven't been made there so no one knows where it is.

Something else that struck me.

What teachers ate. I had my fishball soup. Someone else had a huge lunch tupperware full of rabbit food- carrots and cucumbers. Apparently to detox after consecutive weekends of Chinese wedding dinners. When anyone commented, she repeated the same thing about detoxing. Why is it that people admit they eat like rabbits in order to lose weight? I'm guilty of it too. When people comment on the lack of carbs in my lunch, without fail, the response is that I don't want to be too sleepy after lunch although in actual fact, I'm deathly afraid of putting on weight (albeit unsuccessfully since I did just come back from a weekend of gluttony). It's a sense of embarrassment, I suppose, when self image and what other people see is incongrous and when we refuse to concede. So the rabbit food and the low carb and goodness knows what else. At least I can safely and proudly say I dislike rabbit food and I don't think lunch for me will ever constitute carrots and cucumbers. I'm crazy, but not that crazy.

Anyhow, lunch is over and there is the afternoon lull round here. It's quiet and good for work if you're in the mood for it. Me, I'm so terribly sleepy, it's not going to take much for me to doze off. But I want to go running- yet another indication of the crazy syndrome that I am afflicted with. But it threatens to rain, with thunder and all and sundry, so that might be a problem as well. Oh well, if that fails, I'll stay in and eat yummy ice cream that is in the freezer. Black sesame, brandied fig, butterscotch pecan, coffee (unlikely) or just plain chocolate? Choices choices.

Ondine tossed this thought in at 13:44

3 thoughts...

3 thoughts...

At 11:44 pm Blogger Tym said...

Such fancy ice cream choices. I'm a traditionalist: chocolate!!

 
At 12:12 am Blogger ming said...

carrots and cucumber ice cream?

 
At 6:22 am Blogger  said...

NAB also takes low carb and high protein, so not so crazy!

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"