Sunday, January 18, 2009

A stitch in time

The first time I ever did any stitching was in Primary 2. My illustrious art teacher gave each of us a small piece of cloth with pattern on it and taught us to stitch according to the colour and pattern on the piece of cloth in tiny crosses. I looked forward to every art lesson because that's when we could stitch to our heart's content. My mother was impressed at the art teacher's foresightedness. Apparently cross-stitching is a good tool to use to develop both sides of the brain and this teacher did it without any flashcards or videos or expensive paraphernalia and resource.

Anyway, since I enjoyed it so much and it was good for me, my mom decided that it was going to be a great end-of-year project to keep her daughter busy and calm her down, teaching her to sit still and put her undivided attention onto one thing even if it were just for twenty minutes a day. Some days I hated it, some days I enjoyed it but I knew I had to finish it because much as I hated sitting down for a set amount of time each day and that interrupted my day of play, the thought of an unfinished piece bugged the heck out of me even more.

So I did it, every day for 6 weeks, getting it ready just in time for Mom to lay it out as one of her Christmas runners. It looks very juvenile and simple but I got a lot of needle pokes and skin shorn off from doing it. But when I got it done, the sense of achievement was remarkable though not remarkable enough for me to attempt another one till way after I graduated college.

My mother being the sentimentalist and hoarder kept my piece of embroidery and gave it to me today. Just looking at it brings back memories, although it made me wonder what I was going to do with it. Packrat suggested I stitch "Home Sweet Home" or something equally tacky in the middle but just the thought of stitching and now, with relatively newly minted eyes made me baulk and consider other things I could do with it, like perhaps frame it and put it in my children's room. But here it is, till i figure what i want to do with it, recorded for posterity.




Technorati Tags: ,

Ondine tossed this thought in at 22:24

2 thoughts...

2 thoughts...

At 3:28 pm Blogger seriously! said...

I remember the stitching!! I loved doing the crosses! My mom turned my work into a pencil case I think. Bet she still has it! But who is our P2 art teacher??

 
At 3:29 pm Blogger Ondine said...

Ms Soh was our art teacher!

 

Post a Comment

" Far in the stillness, a cat languishes loudly"